Saturday, January 28, 2012

Unnecessary science?

I was sitting there watching television with my father and an ad comes on for match.com. Instead of explaining it here's the link to video on youtube, it's only sixteen seconds. The study was conducted by a company called OkCupid, another online dating site. Maybe they're partner companies? I found the original blog post by OkCupid, titled "Don't be ugly by accident", with this study and a handful of other studies to make people more insecure. Here's that link. Fun note: The founder of OkCupid also started SparkNotes.

OkCupid asked 9,785 smart phone users how many sexual partners they had over their lifetime, and here's the nifty graph that came about


I gave away my opinion with the title of the blog, but seriously, why should we be telling people these things? How is it benefiting mankind in anyway? Women age 30 who owned iphones clocked in around 12 sexual partners. Is that supposed to be good? I don't understand...

I believe the media has perpetuated this idea of "fun casual sex" for far too long now. Now more recently the media has turned to sexual violence as a means for entertainment. My mom watches Law and Order pretty much anytime it's on, and one particular branch of that series is "Special Victims Unit", which means every episode is about rape in whatever horrifyingly twisted manner that sadistic bastard Dick Wolf can come up with. It's people like Dick Wolf that are destroying society from the inside out, feeding us fear until we jump at our own shadow then rush to the phone for ADT. Unfortunately it's people like my mom (I still love her though haha) that sit there and buy into that crap. I've asked her why, and the best I've gotten is "we need to know about these things the world isn't safe". I do happen to know that already without watching Law and Order. There's worse going on in Tibet, and let's not forget Mugabe's friendly gang of chaps

Yeah I've mostly ranted about more stuff. I think I'm done for now. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment